Russian town, in the government of Podolia. The Jewish community there has one large and eight smaller synagogues, and a Talmud Torah built by the late Ḥayyim Masel in memoryof his father, Phinehas. The expenses of the Talmud Torah are met by a grant of 3,000 rubles annually from the income of the meat-tax. There are also a Jewish school for boys and one for girls, a library, founded by the Zionists, and various other institutions. The town has a total population of 22,915, about 39 per cent being Jews (1897).
The district of Proskurov, exclusive of the city, has a population of 204,246, of which 8 per cent are Jews—a decrease from the proportion of 1866, when there were 12,616 Jews there (9 per cent) in a total population of 141,702.
- Brockhaus-Efron, Entziklopedicheski Slovar;
- Ha-Meliẓ. 1903, No. 8;
- Semenov, Geografichesko-Statisticheski Slovar.