Prussian town and watering-place in the government of Coblenz. The first mention of Jews in Kreuznach occurs in an account of an attack upon them on March 31, 1283, given in Salfeld's "Martyrologium." In a number of documents, beginning with one of Feb. 2, 1342, Abraham of Kreuznach is mentioned as a highly esteemed Jewish resident of Bingen. The Jews of Kreuznach were among the victims of the anti-Jewish riots that occurred at the time of the Black Death. Rupert III. (1398-1410), who, as elector, had expelled Jews from the Palatinate, tolerated them as king, and took Gottschalk of Kreuznach, among others, under his protection. The Jews of this city are mentioned also in 1464 and 1525. The business transactions of the Jews were regulated by special edict, which included permission to sell medicines and merchandise, and to possess a cemetery. An edict of 1548 granted them permission to appoint "an instructor or schoolmaster." In 1722 there were in the electoral district of Kreuznach thirty-six Jewish families, twenty-two of which lived in the city, while the remaining fourteen families were scattered in neighboring towns. The present rabbi (1904) is Dr. Tawrogi, who was preceded by Rabbis L. Bamberger and Hirsch. The community maintains a number of charitable foundations. Kreuznach has a population of 21,334, including 665 Jews.
- Salfeld, Martyrologium, pp. 99, 144, 276, 281;
- Schaab, Diplomat. Gesch. der Juden in Mainz, p. 83;
- Löwenstein, Gesch. der Juden in der Kurpfalz, passim;
- Statistisches Jahrbuch des Deutsch-Israelitischen Gemeindebundes, 1903, p. 77.