LEVY, JOSEPH LEONARD:
American rabbi; born Nov. 24, 1865, in London; educated at Jews' College and University College (B.A.), London, at Bristol University, England, and at Western University of Pennsylvania (D.D.). Levy was rabbi of the Bristol Hebrew Congregation (1885-89) and of Bnai Israel Congregation, Sacramento, Cal. (1889-1893); associate rabbi of the Keneseth Israel Congregation, Philadelphia (1893-1901); and, since 1901, has been rabbi of the Rodeph Shalom congregation, Pittsburg. In 1898 he was elected chaplain of "Keegan's Brigade," with which he served through the Spanish-American war. Levy was the organizer of a number of charitable and religious societies among the Jews of Philadelphia. He is the author of a translation of the tractate Rosh ha-Shanah of the Babylonian Talmud (Philadelphia, 1895). He published also "The Greater Lights" (ib. 1895); "Home Service for the Passover" (ib. 1896); "The Nineteenth Century" (ib. 1901); "A Book of Prayer" (Pittsburg, 1902); "The Jew's Beliefs" (ib. 1903); "The Children's Service and Hymnal" (ib. 1903); "Text-Book of Religion and Ethics for Jewish Children" (ib. 1903); "Sabbath Readings" (ib. 1904); and eight volumes of Sunday lectures. Levy is the editor of the "Jewish Criterion," published at Pittsburg.
- American Jewish Year Book, 1904.