The unedited full-text of the 1906 Jewish Encyclopedia
- Phrase search: "names of god"
- Exclude terms: "names of god" -zerah
- Volume/Page: v9 p419
- Diacritics optional: Ḥanukkah or hanukkah
- Search by Author: altruism author:Hirsch
search tips & recommendations


The fourth Jewish newspaper published in London, immediately on the passing of the "Jewish Record." Its first number was issued Feb. 14, 1873, the founders being George Lewis Lyon, who remained the proprietor and general editor up to 1897, and Myer D. Davis, Jewish teacher and antiquary, who was the first editor, and who resigned soon after the founding of the journal. The editorship passed successively to P. B. Benny, Lucien Wolf, Edwin Collins, J. de Haas, and S. H. Herschkowitch. Since a change in proprietorship in Sept., 1897, the editors have been Samuel L. Bensusan, and John Raphael, the present editor.

From its foundation to 1881 the paper pursued the policy of presenting a trenchant criticism of Christian doctrine and belief. On the outbreak of the Balta riots it sent a commissioner to Russia, and until after the outbreak in 1892 earnestly championed the cause of the Russian and Rumanian Jews.

Its criticism of Christianity brought it into contact with W. E. Gladstone; and its doubt of the utility of the forty-second clause of the Berlin Treaty brought it correspondence from the Marquis of Salisbury.

Until 1897 "The Jewish World" advocated Orthodox Judaism, and was a sharp critic of Anglo-Jewishinstitutions. From 1892 to 1900 it consistently advocated, in one form or another, the Zionist idea. Till 1897 it was a quarto of eight pages, with occasional supplements; from 1897 it has had sixteen pages with cover, and regular illustrations appropriate to the events of the week.

G. J. de H.
Images of pages