American philanthropist; born at Philadelphia May 25, 1831; died there April 19, 1895; eldest son of Eliezer L., and grandson of John Moss. He received his education at New Haven, Conn., and Philadelphia, and became a machinist for the firm of Morris & Taws, Philadelphia, for whom he superintended the erection of sugar-mills in Porto Rico; later he founded thefirm of Wiler & Moss, brass-workers. In 1878 he retired from business. The remaining years of his life were passed quietly in Philadelphia, where he interested himself in philanthropic work. He was associated with all the important Hebrew charitable societies there, and was a member of the boards of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children. He left the bulk of his moderate fortune to the Jewish Hospital Association of Philadelphia, for the founding and endowing of the Lucien Moss Home for Incurables of the Jewish Faith.
- Publications Am. Jew. Hist. Soc. No. 5, pp. 205-207.