German philanthropist; born at Berlin April 7, 1781; died at Breslau June 12, 1847. In addition to a thorough course in Hebrew literature, he received a substantial secular education. In 1806 he went to Plesse, Prussian Silesia, as a teacher in the family of F. Skutsch, whose office he afterward entered as a bookkeeper, subsequently establishing a business of his own. Prospering, he took an increasing interest in all that concerned his coreligionists. He strove energetically to secure the emancipation of the Jews in Germany, and with that object in view contributed many articles to the periodical press. The respect in which he was held by the authorities secured the success of many of his efforts to improve the condition of his brethren and to obtain for them a greater measure of consideration. To him is due the credit for having obtained for Jews the right to trade as apothecaries. He went to Berlin when the Landtag of 1847 gave evidence of a disposition to concede the emancipation of the Jews, and personally influenced a large number of the deputies. He did not live, however, to witness the outcome of the session. The esteem in which he was held by the citizens of Plesse is indicated by the fact that he was for many years president of the city council. Shortly before his death he was elected "Stadtrath" by an almost unanimous vote.
- Jahrbuch für Israeliten, Breslau, 1847.