By: Cyrus Adler
One of the South Atlantic states of the American Union, and one of the thirteen original states. In 1826 Isaac Harby estimated that there were 400 Jews in the state. Its principal town is Wilmington, the first Jewish settlers of which were Aaron Lazarus and Aaron Riviera. The former was born in Charleston, S. C., in 1777, and went to Wilmington in early manhood; he was interested in railroad projects. The latter was cashier of the Bank of Fear. In 1852 an organization was effected for burial services, but it was not until 1867 that a congregation was formed, with E. C. Myers as rabbi. This was permanently organized in 1873 under the name of "Temple of Israel." The synagogue was dedicated in 1876, and S. Mendelsohn was elected rabbi. In 1904 he was still discharging the duties of that office. Wilmington has, in addition, a club and a charitable society. Other communities exist at the following places: Asheville (two congregations and a cemetery; Philip S. Henry has a large estate, Zealandia, there); Charlotte (a ladies' aid society); Durham (a congregation); Goldsboro (Congregation Oheb Sholom, founded in 1883, and three charitable societies); Monroe (a small community, holding holy-day services); Newbern (a congregation); Raleigh (a cemetery, founded in 1870); Statesville (Congregation Emanuel, founded in 1883); Tarboro (Congregation Bnai Israel, founded in 1872); Windsor (holy-day services).
- Publications Am. Jew. Hist. Soc. No. 2, pp. 103, 106;
- Markens, The Hebrews in America, pp. 113-114;
- American Jewish Year Book, 5661 (1900-1).