Austrian rabbi; born at-Prerau Jan., 1799; died at Boskowitz Dec. 10, 1884. In 1827 he became rabbi in his native city, and from 1832 to 1840 he officiated at Weisskirchen, in Moravia, whence he was called to Boskowitz. In Oct., 1851, he succeeded S. R. Hirsch as acting" Landesrabbiner" of Moravia, and in this office he successfully defended the rights of the Jews, especially during the period of reaction. Placzek was one of the most prominent Talmudists of his time, as well as a successful teacher, and carried on correspondence with eminent rabbis, in whose collections of responsa his name is frequently mentioned.
- Die Neuzeit. 1884. p. 483;
- G. Deutsch, in Luaḥ, ed. Epstein, Brünn, 1885.