JewishEncyclopedia.com

The unedited full-text of the 1906 Jewish Encyclopedia
- Phrase search: "names of god"
- Exclude terms: "names of god" -zerah
- Volume/Page: v9 p419
- Diacritics optional: Ḥanukkah or hanukkah
- Search by Author: altruism author:Hirsch
search tips & recommendations

ABEL-CHERAMIM (so in R. V.; but "plain of the vineyards" in A. V.):

Mentioned only in Judges, xi. 33 (a Deuteronomistic document) as the place where Jephthah paused in his pursuit and slaughter of the Ammonites. According to Eusebius and Jerome ("Onomastica Sacra," ed. Lagarde, 2d ed.,96, 10; 225, 5) it was situated six or seven Roman miles from Philadelphia (Rabbath-Ammon) 'but it is not possible to define the exact modern site. In the time of Eusebius, the place was still noted for its vineyards.

J. D. P.
Images of pages