BERND, JULIUS D.:
American merchant and philanthropist; born in 1830; died at Pittsburg, Pa., Nov. 30, 1892. Bernd was a successful business man and highly esteemed by his mercantile associates in Pittsburg. He was a member of the chamber of commerce. Being actively interested in philanthropic work, he was a director of the Gusky Orphanage and Home of Western Pennsylvania, an earnest worker for the Humane Society, and a member of the Rodef Sholem congregation. By his will he left a large amount to various charities, particularly to the Union of American Hebrew Congregations, the Hebrew Union College, and the Gusky Orphanage. After giving to every charitable institution in the county of Allegheny, without regard to creed or color, he bequeathed the residue of his estate, share and share alike, to the Hebrew Union College of Cincinnati, O., and to the city of Pittsburg, Pa., the bequest to the city being conditioned on its creating a department or alcove in the Carnegie Library of Pittsburg, to be known as the "J. D. Bernd Alcove," which was accordingly instituted.