Town in the district of Vinitza, government of Podolia. The population at the census of 1897 was 8,972, including 3,924 Jews. Of the latter a few are engaged in agriculture, the pursuit of which was nearly closed to them by the laws of 1882. Three hundred and eighty-nine Jews are engaged in manufacturing peasants' shoes, which are sold at the markets of the Kherson and Bessarabian governments. The economic condition of these Jews is getting worse every year, as may be seen by the increasing number of families asking for charity at Passover (120 families in 1898). Fifty children attend the Talmud-Torah.
- Statistics gathered by the St. Petersburg branch of the Jewish Colonization Association.