BRUNNER, ARNOLD WILLIAM:
By: Cyrus Adler
American architect; the son of William Brunner and Isabelle Solomon; was born in New York city Sept. 25, 1857. He was educated in Manchester, England, and in New York, and is a graduate of the special architectural course in the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Brunner was one of the founders of the Architectural League of New York (1881), is a member and vice-president (1898) of the New York Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, a fellow of the Institute, and (1902) a member of the Board of Education of New York city. He has designed and erected many buildings, notably the new United States post-office, custom-house, and court-house at Cleveland, Ohio, won in competition. He was also the architect of the Temple Beth-El, the synagogues of the congregations Shearith Israel and Shaaray Tefila, the Educational Alliance Building, the Mt. Sinai Hospital, the Clara de Hirsch Home for Working Girls, the Jewish Theological Seminary of America, all in New York, and of the Temple Mishkan Israel at New Haven, Conn., and the Frank Memorial Synagogue at Philadelphia.
Brunner has written a work on "Cottages," another on "Interior Decoration," and is a contributor to the "Encyclopedia of Architecture," edited by Russell Sturgis.