By: S. Janovsky
Town in the government of Kiev, Russia; it has (1898) a population of 10,759, including 7,189 Jews. Of the latter, 651 are artisans, of whom 419 own shops 192 are wage-workers, and 40 are apprentices. The predominating trade is tailoring, in which 165 persons are engaged; 167 Jews are journeymen, and 120 are employed in a paper-mill. Several ḥadarim, and a Talmud Torah with 45 pupils, are the only educational institutions.
Bobrik and Bobry, situated at a distance of 60 versts (40 English miles) from Chernobyl, are Jewish colonies, in which 47 families cultivate 618 deciatines of land.