By: Joseph Jacobs
Founded in London by Mordecai Hamburger in 1702, as a protest against the tyranny of Abraham of Hamburg, the parnas of the Great Synagogue. Its members met at Hamburger's house, in Magpye alley, Fenchurch street, the rabbi being Jochanan Holleschau. It was the first attempt at an independent synagogue, and the ecclesiastical authorities of both the Sephardim and Ashkenazim combined to obtain an injunction against a place of public Jewish worship in St. Mary Axe, so near to both Duke's Place and Bevis Marks. A veto was obtained from the corporation; but notwithstanding this the synagogue was erected in the garden attached to Hamburger's house, the foundation-stone being laid Siwan 3, 5485 (1725), by Wolf Präger, after whom the synagogue was sometimes called. Generally, however, it was spoken of as "the Hambro'," as it followed the ritual of Hamburg. Holleschau was succeeded by Meshullam Zalman, son of R. Jacob Emden, and he by Hirschel Levin, father of Dr. Herschell. The synagogue was pulled down in 1893 to make room for city improvements, and its place in the United Synagogue of London was taken by a new synagogue erected in Union street, Commercial road. See also London.
- D. Kaufmann, in Trans. Jew. Hist. Soc. Eng. iii. 104-119;
- Harris, Jewish Year Book, 5663 (1902-03);
- Jew. Chron. April 22, 1897.