By: Frants Buhl
Town mentioned in Josh. xi. 1 and xii. 20 as the seat of a north Canaanitish king. Robinson ("Biblical Researches," iii. 55, London, 1856) identifies it with the ruins at Kesaf, or Iksaf, a village northwest of Hunin and south of a branch of the Nahr el-Kasimiye (Guérin, "Galilee," ii. 269). This would agree with Josh. xi. 1, but not with xix. 25, as in the latter passage this town must be looked for in the neighborhood of the coast. The identification of Achshaph with the Aksap of the Egyptian list of Thothmes is uncertain.
- W. Max Müller, Asien und Europa, p. 154.