German architect; born July 4, 1863, at Königsberg, eastern Prussia; educated at the gymnasium of his native town and at Gnesen, at the Technische Hochschule and the University of Berlin, and at the University of Heidelberg, passing his examination as architect in 1888. In the same year he established himself as architect in Berlin. In 1894 he received the degree of doctor of philosophy from Heidelberg University, and was admitted to the Humboldt Akademie in Berlin as privat-docent. Two years later he received the "venia legendi" at the University of Ghent, and became professor of archeology and the history of art at the New University and Polytechnic School at Brussels. He resigned his chair in 1898, and, returning to Berlin, resumed the profession of architect. He also became chief editor of the "Internationale Revue für Kunst, Kunstgewerbe und Technik" in Berlin.
Joseph is a prolific writer. He has contributed many essays to "Literarischer Merkur" (1885 and 1886); "Der Bau" (vols. ii. et seq.); "Deutsche Bauzeitung" (vols. xxix. et seq.); "Der Bär" (vols. xxi. et seq.); "Repertorium für Kunstwissenschaft" (vols. xviii. et seq.); "Centralblatt der Bauverwaltung" (vols. xv. et seq.). He is the author also of: "Die Paläste des Homerischen Epos, mit Rücksicht auf die Ausgrabungen Heinrich Schliemanns," Berlin, 1893 (2d ed. 1895); "Architektonische Meisterwerke in Deutschland, Belgien, Holland, und der Schweiz," ib. 1896; "Bibliographie de l'Histoire de l'Art de la Première Renaissance (Trecento et Quattrocento) en Italie," Brussels, 1898; "Stiftshütte, Tempel- und Synagogen-Bauten," Berlin, 1902; "Geschichte der Baukunst vom Altertum bis zur Neuzeit," 2 vols., Berlin, 1902; "Architekturdenkmäler von Rom, Florenz, Venedig," Leipsic, 1904.