By: Cyrus Adler
American rabbi; born May 22, 1848, at Baracska, Hungary. He was educated in the Talmudical schools of his native country and continued his studies in the gymnasium of Presburg and in the universities of Vienna, Berlin (Ph.D.), and Jena. After receiving his rabbinical diploma from B. H. Auerbach of Halberstadt, he became rabbi at Libau, in Courland, Russia (1880-90). In 1890 he emigrated to New York, where he was appointed rabbi of the Hungarian congregation Oheb Zedek, perhaps the most important position among the East Side congregations of New York. This position he still (1904) holds.
- American Jewish Year Book, 1903-4, p. 69.