German rabbi; born at Dyhernfurth, Prussian Silesia, May 12, 1845. He was educated at the gymnasium at Glatz, the yeshibah of R. Pollack at Weisskirchen, Moravia, and the Jewish theological seminary and the university at Breslau (Ph.D. 1869). After three years as rabbi and principal at the Jewish teachers' seminary in Münster he became (1872) rabbi at Lengsfeld, SaxeWeimar, and (1883-85) at Erfurt. From Erfurt he went to Hanover as assistant rabbi and principal of the Jewish teachers' seminary; in 1894 he was called to the rabbinate ("Kirchenrath") at Stuttgart.
He is the author of "Gesch. der Juden in Erfurt," Erfurt, 1885, and "Gesch. der Juden," Frankfort-on-the-Main, 1898.