Town in the government of Kiev, Russia. In 1897 it had a total population of 6,068, of which 4,500 were Jews. There were 670 Jewish artisans and 71 Jewish day-laborers; of the latter 25 engaged in field-work during the harvest season. The economic condition of the Jews there has been unfavorably affected by the abolition of annual and weekly fairs, and in 1900 the poverty of the population became so great that a mob of several hundred collected at the house of the local police official and demanded bread and the reestablishment of the fairs. The Jewish artisans are engaged extensively in the manufacture of a new kind of footwear, one variety of which, worn by the peasantry, is known as "postaly," and another, worn by the more prosperous, as "skorokhody." The 25 ḥadarim afforded instruction to 475 children, and 59 Jewish pupils attended the city school. The Talmud Torah, founded in 1898, had 97 pupils. In 1768 Lipovetz suffered with other Ukrainean towns from the attacks of the Haidamacks.
- Voskhod (monthly), 1890, ii. 94;
- Voskhod (weekly), 1900, Nos. 12, 17.