Russian teacher and writer; born at Hodava, Russian Poland, 1819; died at Warsaw March, 1897. He studied Talmud at Tomashov, where Phinehas-Mendel Heilprin exercised a beneficial influence on his education. In 1850 Mendelsburg was appointed government teacher at the Jewish public school in Novograd-Volhynsk; and in 1854 he was transferred to the rabbinical school at Jitomir, where he remained until the closing of that school by the government (July 1, 1873). He then settled in Koretz, and later removed to Warsaw. From 1850 Mendelsburg was a constant contributor in German to the "Allgemeine Zeitung des Judenthums," in which he published valuable papers on the life of the Jews in Russia. He published also "Dichtung und Warhheit" (Leipsic, 1862), a volume of sketches of Russo-Jewish life.
- Sokolow, Sefer Zikkaron, p. 72;
- Ha-Ẓefirah, 1897, p. 233.