Small town in the province of Alessandria, Piedmont, Italy. Jews settled there after their expulsion from France. The community, like those of Asti and Fossano, long retained the old French ritual, and still uses the German Maḥzor with several additions from the French rite. The history of the community is similar to that of the other communities of Savoy. In 1866 it contained 220 persons, including a large number of artisans engaged in various trades, but it is now considerably smaller. It formerly had various philanthropic societies and foundations, ritual institutions, etc. Joseph Lattes (d. 1880) officiated for a time as rabbi.
- Luzzatto, in Halikot Ḳedem, p. 51;
- idem, Mebo le-Maḥzor, p. 7;
- Zunz, Ritus, p. 64;
- Corriere Israelitico, iv. 315.