Small town in the province of Piacenza, northern Italy, with a Jewish community dating from the expulsion of the Jews from the duchy of Milan in 1597. The first settlers were the Soavi and Sforni families of Cremona. The community brought its German ritual from Lombardy, and has retained it until the present time. A society for nursing and for study, entitled "Ḥebrat Biḳḳur Ḥolim," founded in the sixteenth century, is also still in existence. In 1865 the Jewish inhabitants numbered 143; but in 1901 they had become reduced to 32. Flaminio Servi officiated as rabbi in 1863.
- Corriere Israelitico, v. 338.