POPPÆA SABINA:(Redirected from SABINA POPPÆA.)
Mistress and, after 62
When King Agrippa added a tower to the ancient palace of the Hasmoneans, at Jerusalem, that he might overlook the city and the Temple and watch the ceremonial in the sanctuary, the priests cut off his view by a high wall. He then appealed to the procurator Festus, but a Jewish delegation sent to Rome succeeded through Poppæa's intercession in having the case decided in favor of the priests. The last procurator, Gessius Florus (64-66), owed his appointment to the empress, who was a friend of his wife Cleopatra.
- Grätz, Gesch. 2d ed., iii. 331 et seq.;
- Friedländer, Darstellungen aus der Sittengeschichte Roms, i. 348;
- Hertzberg, Gesch. des Römischen Kaiserreiches, pp. 237 et seq.;
- Schiller, Gesch. des Römischen Kaiserreiches Unter Nero, p. 528;
- Vogelstein and Rieger, Gesch. der Juden in Rom, i. 21, 74, 101;
- Schürer, Gesch. i. 57, 489, 494 et seq.; ii. 510.