JewishEncyclopedia.com

The unedited full-text of the 1906 Jewish Encyclopedia
- Phrase search: "names of god"
- Exclude terms: "names of god" -zerah
- Volume/Page: v9 p419
- Diacritics optional: Ḥanukkah or hanukkah
- Search by Author: altruism author:Hirsch
search tips & recommendations

ALUSHTA:

Village on the southeastern shore of the Crimea, in the district of Yalta, Russia. Some ruins exist of the fort Aluston built there by Emperor Justinian in the sixth century. Under the name of Aluss the place is mentioned in the letter of Joseph, king of the Chazars, to Ḥasdai ibn-Shaprut (about 960) as one of the cities tributary to the Chazars. In the Middle Ages it was in the possession of the Genoese, and was known by the names of Lusta, Austa, and Alusta.

There are now only a few Jews in the village; and these are employed in the neighboring vine-yards.

Bibliography:
  • A. Harkavy, Soobshcheniya o Chazarakh, in Yevreiskaya Bibl. vii. 160, and private sources.
H. R.
Images of pages