VIDAS, SAMUEL BEN ḤABIB DE:
Spanish scholar and Bible commentator of the fifteenth century; it is said, but not known with certainty, that he was a physician also. He wrote a commentary on Lamentations, entitled "Perush Megillat Ekah," which appeared in Salonica, 1595. He was the author of the following works also, which have been preserved in manuscript: "Mebaḳḳesh ha-Shem," sermons on the weekly Torah lessons, beginning with Ki Tissa and continued to Niẓẓabim; and a commentary on Canticles, in which his name is given as Samuel Bibas ().
- Polak, in Orient, Lit. x. 276;
- Azulai, Shem ha-Gedolim, i. 174;
- Carmoly, Histoire des Médecins Juifs, pp. 121 et seq.;
- Schorr, in He-Ḥaluẓ, ii. 24;
- Dukes, in Orient, Lit. x. 707;
- Steinschneider, Cat. Bodl. cols. 2410-2411;
- Jacobs, Sources, p. 195.