BENVENISTE BEN ḤIYYAH BEN ALDAYYAN (called also Al-Yasis [the Elder] or Ibn al-Yasis):
Physician and religious poet of the thirteenth century. Zunz mentions three metrical "baḳḳashahs" (supplications) written by him. At Benveniste's request, Jacob ben Eleazar under-took the translation of "Kalilah wa-Dimnah" from the Arabic into Hebrew. To the preface of this translation Jacob prefixed a few verses laudatory of Benveniste.
- Steinschneider, Cat. Bodl. col. 2703;
- idem, Hebr. Uebers. p. 879;
- Zunz, Literaturgesch. p. 545;
- Lands-huth, 'Ammude ha-'Abodah, p. 51;
- J. Derenbourg, Deux Versions Hebraïques du Livre de Kalîlâh et Dimnâh, p. 313, Paris, 1881.