Village of Russia, in the government of Minsk, having a population (1898) of 1,900, almost exclusively Jews (1,824). About 25 per cent of them are artisans and laborers, chiefly loaders. Twenty-four Jewish families are engaged in gardening. The general economic condition is bad. Upon the introduction (June 14, 1897) of the government monopoly in the wine trade, 99 Jewish families were left without means of subsistence; 155 families depended upon charity for fuel; 210 applied in 1898 for charity during the Passover of that year; and the number of such applicants increases annually.