BLOGG or BLOCH, SOLOMON BEN EPHRAIM:
German author; native of Neuwägen in Hanover; died Feb. 11, 1858. He was a teacher of the Hebrew language, and founded Telgener's printing-press at Hanover in 1827. At the time of his death he was nearly eighty years old, and had been engaged in literary labors for forty-five years.His printing-press was noted for the scientific accuracy of its productions. Many of his works are important for the history of the Hebrew language and literature. Blogg wrote: "Abrégé de la Grammaire Hebraïque," Berlin, 1810; "Erster Unterricht in der Englischen Sprache," Hanover, 1813; "Moses, der Vertraute der Gottheit," ib. 1824; "Hebräische Grammatik für Anfänger," ib. 1825; "Gründliche Beweise, wie der Jude bei einer Eidesleistung Gesonnen Ist," ib. 1826; "Geschichte der Hebräischen Sprache und Literatur Nebst einem Anhange, die Targumim Betreffend," 2d ed., ib. 1826.
He edited "Sammlung Aller Gebräuche, Observanzen und Gebetformeln der Heutigen Polnischen und Deutschen Israeliten für das Ganze Jahr, Ursprünglich Verfasst von Salm. London, aber Bereichert und Vielfach Verdeutsclit," ib. 1830. This work of London appeared in Hebrew at Amsterdam in 1744, and was published in Jüdisch-Deutsch at Frankfort-on-the-Oder, in 1799. Blogg's "Binyan Shelomoh, Ædificium Salomonis" (ib. 1831), treats of the Hebrew language and the Talmud in their historical aspects.
- Fürst, Bibl. Jud. i. 122 et seq.;
- Zeitlin, Bibl. Post-Mendels. 2d ed., pp. 33 et seq., ib. 1891-95;
- Steinschneider, Cat. Bodl. col. 802;
- idem, Bibl. Handbuch, p. 23, ib. 1859;
- idem, Hebr. Bibl. i. 16, Berlin, 1858;
- idem, in Israelitische Letterbode, 1883, ix. 48;
- Zedner, Cat. Hebr. Books Brit. Mus. 1867, p. 153;
- Cat. Rosenthal. Bibl. i. 232, Amsterdam, 1875.