JewishEncyclopedia.com

The unedited full-text of the 1906 Jewish Encyclopedia
- Phrase search: "names of god"
- Exclude terms: "names of god" -zerah
- Volume/Page: v9 p419
- Diacritics optional: Ḥanukkah or hanukkah
- Search by Author: altruism author:Hirsch
search tips & recommendations

CASTELLON DE LA PLANA, or DE BURRIANA:

City of Valencia. In 1320 the Jews of Castellon obtained permission to lay out a cemetery; and in 1432 to build a new synagogue. In 1391, in contradistinction to most of the other cities of Spain, at Castellon the magistrates protected the Jews from violence. In 1459 thirty-one Jewish families were living here. When in 1492 the Jews were compelled to leave Castellon, the city council demanded an indemnity for the taxes which the city would lose by their departure.

Bibliography:
  • Amador de los Rios, Historia, ii. 153;
  • Juan A. Balbos, La Juderia de Castellon, in Anuario for 1887, pp. 113 et seq., Valencia;
  • Rev. Etudes Juives, xiv. 261;
  • Jacobs, Sources, No. 791.
G. M. K.
Images of pages