Small town in the government of Podolia, Russia, with (in 1898) an almost exclusively Jewish population of 1,282. About 160 Jews follow various trades, but the bulk of the population is engaged in mercantile pursuits. Hair sacks form the principal article of commerce, being exported to the value of 100,000 rubles annually.
Poverty is increasing to such a degree that the scanty funds of the two existing charitable organizations can barely meet the needs of the poorer part of the community. The educational institutions include a Talmud Torah, with 10 pupils, and 10 ḥadarim. (which are subdivided into 3 primary, 3 middle, and 4 higher departments), with 178 pupils.