Town in the government of Kiev, Russia, with a population (in 1897) of 9,870, including about 3,000 Jews. The latter are engaged principally in commerce and the handicrafts, the total number of artisans being 551. Tailoring is the predominating trade, 204 being engaged in it. There are, besides, 37 journeymen; and 16 Jews find employment in the local tannery and factories. About 200 families apply yearly for aid at Passover. The educational institutions comprise a government school with 300 pupils, of whom 120 are Jews; about 30 ḥadarim aggregating 230 scholars; and a Talmud Torah with 45 pupils.