Town in the government of Minsk, Russia. In 1895 it had a population of 10,086, including 4,902 Jews. The latter are mostly engaged in business and in industrial vocations. There are 672 artisans, 564 of whom conduct their own business. Trade in bricks, timber, boats, fish, meat, fire-wood, hoops, iron brackets, etc., engages the activities of the inhabitants. The greater part to these products goes by boat to Minsk and Kiev. About 20 families are engaged in agriculture; 20 persons are occupied in gardening; 6 are teamsters; 13 are employed in shop or factory, mill or brick-yard, etc.; and 140 hire out as day-laborers. There are no charitable institutions. There is a public school enrolling 300 male pupils, of whom 11 are Jewish; and it has a girls' department containing 75 pupils, 10 of whom are Jewish. There are 23 ḥadarim, with 150 pupils, and 7 independent teachers of the Russian language, with 50 pupils.