DILLON, MARIA LVOVNA:
Russian sculptress; born at St. Petersburg in 1859. She entered the Imperial Academy of Fine Arts at St. Petersburg in 1875, and was graduated thence in 1888 with a gold medal for her statue "Andromeda." After the completion of her academic course she went abroad, first to Paris, and then to Italy.
Of the works which she has placed on exhibition since 1888, the most important are "Nyega" (Indulgence), "Nevolnitza" (The Slave), "Kapriznitza" (Capricious Women), "Tatyana," "Ophelia," The Bacchante "Lily" (purchased by Emperor Nicholas II.). The grand duke Alexis secured her statue" Golovka" (Little Head), and the grand duke Serge her statue "Nyega."
In a competition by twenty-eight sculptors she received the first premium and a medal for a design for the commemoration of the 200th anniversary of the founding of St. Petersburg.