DIOSCORIDES, PEDACIUS or PEDANIUS:
Greek physician of the first century. His "Materia Medica" is mentioned in a Hebrew medical work called "Midrash ha-Refu'ot," attributed to
Only one short work of Dioscorides has been translated into Hebrew, by a French Jew, Azariah Bonafoux. It is an alphabetical index of drugs which can be substituted one for another. The translator says that he found the manuscript under the Greek title of 'Αντιβαλλομένων, which he translated "Temu rat ha-Sammim."
- Grätz, Gesch. 3d ed., v. 300, 301;
- Steinschneider. Hebr. Uebers. p. 650;
- idem, Hebr. Bibl. xix. 84;
- idem. in Jew. Quart. Rev. xiii. 98:
- Phil. Luzzatto, Notice sur Abou Youssuf Hasdaï, p. 6;
- Cat. Hebr. MSS. Bibl. Nat. Paris. No. 1124, 5.