Town in the government of Wilna, Russia. According to the census of 1897, it has a population of 6,739, about 5,600 being Jews. Most of these are traders. About 265 persons are employed as day-laborers. Truck-farming gives occupation to 8 families, working on 5 deciatines of rented land. About 437 deciatines in the vicinity of the town are owned and cultivated by Jews. There are the usual charitable institutions, and a Jewish public school for boys and girls, with a register of 170 pupils.