EPHRAIM BEN SAMSON:
Bible exegete; flourished in France in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries. He was the author of "Perush 'al ha-Torah," which consists chiefly of gemaṭria and "noṭariḳon." He largely followed Eleazar of Worms. The commentary was published at Leghorn (1800), in the Pentateuch commentary "Torah Or." It would appear from a passage on Genesis (Wayeẓe) that he wrote that part at least before 1220. Parts of this commentary were utilized by Azulai in his "Naḥal Ḳedumim" (Leghorn, 1800).
- Michael, Or ha-Ḥayyim, p. 251;
- Azulai, Shem ha-Gedolim, i. 32, Wilna, 1852;
- Zunz, Z. G. pp. 83, 92;
- Fürst, Bibl. Jud. i. 223;
- Steinschneider, Jewish Literature, p. 145;
- De Rossi, Dizionario, p. 102;
- Fuenn, Keneset Yisrael, p. 155.