Town in Prussian Silesia, Germany, with a population of 20,529, including 863 Jews. Jews were living there as early as the eleventh century, their quarters being near the Breslauer Thor, in the vicinity of the present Evangelical cemetery. Although they were generally well treated by the Austrian government, they were still subjected to occasional attacks. In 1442 the Jews' street was plundered and the synagogue destroyed. In 1485 Duke Hans expelled them, and they were obliged to worship in secret, even outside the city limits. One hundred years later a new congregation was formed by virtue of the privileges granted to the Jewish family of Benedict. The Jews lived near the present castle. All legal cases were decided in their own court, consisting of the rabbis and the elders. In 1636 a new synagogue was built by the Benedict family, in which the community worshiped for 260 years. At that time it numbered 1,500 persons. When Silesia came into the possession of Prussia, the Jews were soon granted political equality, especially by the Stein-Hardenberg laws. Another synagogue was built in 1892, at a cost of 300,000 marks. Among the eminent Jews of Glogau may be mentioned: Solomon Munk, Eduard Munk, Joseph Zedner, and Michael Sachs. Among those who have occupied the rabbinate of Glogau may be cited: Mannes Lisser; Arnheim, one of the editors of Zunz's "Bibel"; Klein; Dr. Rippner (1872-99); and Dr. Lucas, the present incumbent.
- Allg. Zeit. des Jud., 1853, No. 37; 1854, No. 2.