HAI BEN NAHSHON:
Gaon of Sura (889-896) and president of the school of Nehardea. He was, according to a manuscript in the Vatican Library, the author of opinions on many Talmudical tractates. He protested against reciting "Kol Nidre" (Rosh, on Yoma, end; Ṭur Oraḥ Ḥayyim, 619; Kol Bo, § 68). His father, R. Nahshon, and grand-father, R. Zadok, were both geonim.
- Rechts-Gutachten der Geonen, ed. Cassel, p. 9;
- Fürst, in Orient, Lit. x. 261;
- Rapoport, in Bikkure ha-'Ittim, x. 37, xi. 82;
- Steinschneider, Die Arabische Literatur,p. 101, note 1;
- Neubauer, M. J. C. i. 39, 189;
- Lands-huth, 'Ammude ha-'Abodah, i. 62;
- Harkavy, Teshubot ha-Geonim, p. 384;
- Halévy, Dorot ha-Rishonim, iii. 282;
- see also Jew. Encyc. v. 571, s.v. Gaon.