French seaport, on the estuary of the Seine. It has a population of 118,478, of whom about 50 are Jews (1903). In 1850 a dozen Jewish families united for the celebration of Rosh ha-Shanah and Yom Kippur, in an apartment at No. 33 Rue Royale. The community was created by a ministerial decree in 1852, and its synagogue, at No. 42 Rue Dauphine, was dedicated by Chief Rabbi Isidor. In 1862 the community, having increased in numbers, built a temple on the Rue du Grand Croissant, which also was dedicated (1864) by Chief Rabbi Isidor. In 1870 the community was included in the rabbinical district of Rouen.