JewishEncyclopedia.com

The unedited full-text of the 1906 Jewish Encyclopedia
- Phrase search: "names of god"
- Exclude terms: "names of god" -zerah
- Volume/Page: v9 p419
- Diacritics optional: Ḥanukkah or hanukkah
- Search by Author: altruism author:Hirsch
search tips & recommendations
TANUJI, ISHMAEL HA-HOREN – Egyptian rabbi and author of the sixteenth century. He was a descendant of the Tanuji (from "Tanjah" ="Tangiers") family of Tunis, to which belonged R. Samuel ha-Kohen and his son R. Judah, both rabbis of Jerusalem. In 1543 he...
TANYA – Collection of ritual laws and customs, published first at Mantua, 1514, then at Cremona, 1565, and later in two other editions. The epigraph of the Mantua edition reads as follows: '"Minhag Abot Sefer Tanya' was terminated in...
TÄNZER, AARON – Austrian rabbi; born at Presburg, Hungary, Jan. 30, 1871; studied at the Presburg Rabbinerschule, and Oriental philology and history at the University of Berlin (Ph. D. 1895). In 1896 he was called to Hohenems as chief rabbi of...
TAPPUAH – 1. City in the Shefelah, described as lying between the towns of En-gannim and Enam; probably situated north of the Wadi al-Sunṭ, and identical with the modern 'Artuf (Josh. xv. 34). 2. City in Ephraim, marking the western...
TARASCON – City in the department of Bouches-du-Rhône, France. In 1276 King Charles I. intervened in behalf of its Jews against the inquisitors, who had obliged them to enlarge the wheel-shaped badge worn by them, and had extorted large...
ṬARFON – Tanna of the third generation, living in the period between the destruction of the Temple and the fall of Bethar. He was of priestly lineage, and he expressly states that he officiated in the Temple with the priests (Yer. Yoma...
TARGUM – Name. The Aramaic translation of the Bible. It forms a part of the Jewish traditional literature, and in its inception is as early as the time of the Second Temple. The verb , from which the noun is formed, is used in Ezra iv. 7...
TARNOPOL – Town of eastern Galicia, Austria; situated on the Sereth. It was founded in 1540 by the Polish hetman Johann Tarnowski. Polish Jews were at once admitted, and soon formed a majority of the population; during the sixteenth and...
TARNOW – Town of Austrian Galicia. An organized community existed there in the middle of the sixteenth century. The Jews were, for the most part, under the jurisdiction of the lords of Tarnow, the city being the hereditary possession of...
TARRAGONA – Capital of the province of Tarragona, Spain; the ancient Tarraco. It was called the "City of the Jews" by Edrisi (ed. Conde, p. 64), and contained a community at an early date, as is shown by Jewish coins discovered in the...