The name of several towns in Palestine:
- 1. A city on the eastern side of the Dead Sea in the land taken from Moab and given to Gad (Num. xxxii. 3). From Num. xxxii. 34 it appears that the city was rebuilt by the Gadites: a fact which the Moabite Stone (line 10) confirms. It has been identified with the modern Attarus (Buhl, "Geographie," p. 267).
- 2. A town on the border line between Ephraim and Benjamin (Josh. xvi. 2), though Buhl (ib. 172) disputes the site.
- 3. Ataroth Addar: A border town of Ephraim (Josh. xvi. 5, xviii. 13), perhaps the same as Ataroth, 2.
- 4. Ataroth beth Joab: Mentioned in the list of the descendants of Caleb (I Chron. ii. 54).
- 5. Ataroth Shophan: A city in the domain of the Gadites (Num. xxxii. 35).