A Jewish weekly in the German language, founded in 1855 by Isaac M. Wise and Max Lilienthal in Cincinnati, Ohio, for German immigrants who had not mastered English. It was planned as a German supplement to the American Israelite, and with the increase of the English-speaking Jewish population it lost ground continually. It was kept up until Wise's death (March 26, 1900), he being assisted at various times by S. H. Sonneschein. Henry Zirndorf, and G. Deutsch. The last weekly issue appeared April 6, 1900. In Jan., 1901, G. Deutsch, assisted by S. H. Sonneschein, resumed the publication of "Deborah" as a monthly; but this was discontinued in Dec., 1902.